It might seem like all of the heat is happening on Friday night, but rest assured that your Marfa weekend lasts long past cleaning your plate at the community dinner …
• Early risers can join Rashid Johnson for an exhibition walk-through at Ballroom Marfa on Saturday, March 9, at 11:30am. The video above from a walk-through of his solo exhibition, Message To Our Folks, at the Miami Art Museum suggests the sort of in-depth background on offer.
• Binder Gallery opens its doors March 2/8/9 from 12-5PM. Featuring new work from Marfa-based artist Sam Schonzeit as well as recent paintings from Robert Terry and “unique digital prints from tumblr glitches” by John Pomara.
• Meanwhile, down at Fort D.A. Russell the Chinati Foundation is offering self-guided visits during the following hours, Wednesday through Sunday: from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM the 15 outdoor works in concrete will be accessible, and from 2:00 – 4:00 PM the two former artillery sheds, housing Judd’s 100 works in mill aluminum, will be open. For more information visit www.chinati.org.
• Sunday afternoon from 2-6p is your four hour window of opportunity to receive a $15 spirit guide reading from local clairvoyant Daeryl Holzer at FREDA:
Using her new Spirit Game system, Daeryl provides insights to your present challenges and explains which of your Spirit guides is currently best suited to assist you. You will also receive a specialized visualization to connect for ongoing support. A light-hearted yet profound opportunity to experience Daeryl’s healing work.
Drop-in or by appointment. Contact Susannah at FREDA, to schedule. 917-653-5049 or email@example.com
• Planet Marfa, Presidio County’s only three season beer garden, re-opens on Friday, and hosts a fundraiser for the Grand Companions humane society and the “Marfa 24” on Sunday. More information on MarfaList, or read Alberto Tomas Halpern’s in-depth reporting in the Big Bend Sentinel on the tragic story of the 24 dogs and their well-meaning if misguided host.
• Bring your weekend to a cacophonous, droning close on Sunday night as Michael Strogoff — the Marfa gallery operated by Nicolas Miller and Ballroom Associate Curator Erin Kimmel — presents Tatsuya Nakatani at 8pm:
From their website:
“Tatsuya Nakatani, improvisational percussionist. Born in Kobe Japan 1970, raised in Osaka. He has resided in the USA since 1995 and now bases himself in New York where he is recognized as a key player in the improvised music scene. His elements of percussion instrument are Drum set based Orchestration percussion kit, Bowed Gong, Cymbal, Singing Bowls, Various sticks and Drum set. He stands between the MUSIC categories, genre and cultures, Experimental, Jazz, FreeJazz, Rock. Many voices come from his approach of creation. Besides live performances, he also provides sound, sound design for Television, Film, collaborations with Dancers and artists.” -hopscotch records
Spend the 90 days as a group practicing skills, or getting ready for the adventureStuart Dryden/Calgary Sun/Postmedia Network
Two of Calgary best high school football players are making their way south for a good cause.
Yes to the eradication of terrorism.
I personally dont feel like I did very good at writing any of my poems except my picture poem because I actually knew what I was going to write about when I chose my picture.
Nash broke his leg colliding with Damian Lillard in his second game with the Lakers.
Funk, soul, rock and Latin flavours wove through the tunes, none of it hurried or heavy handed.
They have the DNA to succeed,” said Sachin Bansal.
OF Kevin Kiermaier went 1 for 5 and INF Nick Franklin 2 for 6 in minor league games.